Moffats was founded in 1934 by children’s writer Natalie Engleheart. The school began in a Hertfordshire house called Moffats, once the home of 16th century naturalist Thomas Moffat. Natalie was assisted by her sons John and David, who served as joint heads for many years, and whose own children and grandchildren now in turn play key roles in our family school.
The founder heads were influenced by the educational pioneers of the time, who understood the value of out-of-class activities in education. So Moffats embraced and continues to embrace not just sport but a whole range of artistic and practical activities that broaden and enrich a child’s development.
As the Second World War loomed, the school moved to Lifton Park in Devon. In 1946 Moffats moved again, this time to Kinlet Hall in Shropshire, which has been its happy home ever since.
Up to 1979 the school had been a boys’ school (though not entirely, as a handful of older ex-pupils will confirm!), but in that year Moffats became fully co-educational. These days you will find both men and women among the past pupils whose own children attend Moffats.